Why become a PADI Instructor?
If you are considering becoming a PADI instructor chances are you have already fallen in love with diving and the diver lifestyle and we totally understand after all that is why we became PADI instructors. Here at IDP we train our instructor candidates to not only become the best instructors they can be but to be fully prepared for the life of a PADI professional.
In 2013 Liquid Dive Dumaguete and Atmosphere Resorts joined forces and created Instructor Development Philippines, with one main goal; to be able to offer the most comprehensive instructor training program in the Philippines with the unique aspect of being held in two 5* PADI CDC dive resorts. Now 5 years later, IDP is successfully offering 7 IDC programs a year and can also boast to being the only IDC program in the country that is led by 4 in-house PADI Course Directors, all of whom live and work at their respective dive resorts ensuring you have the support necessary before, during and after your IDC Program.
Our goal is not to just train PADI Dive Instructors that can teach people to master dive skills and dive knowledge, but also to influence the attitudes of their students towards the ocean. If we did anything less we would be shrinking from our duty as role model professional dive educators. We are not in it for the accolades or recognition but because we have a passion for teaching instructors.
We are very lucky at IDP to have 4 full time in-house Course Directors who have been friends and colleagues working together for several years teaching IDC's. With a combined experience of more than 50 years as PADI professionals in the diving industry working world wide, our IDC programs are filled with knowledge, experience and fun. Joining us is a team of highly trained PADI Staff and Master Instructors who all work full time at Atmosphere or Liquid and have been assisting on IDC’s for many years. They all help out during both class and water presentations and create a wonderful support team for all our candidates. We also offer IDC’s in a variety of languages including French, Dutch, German, Swedish, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Another unique aspect of our IDC program is we are one of the only places to incorporate the IDC Online. This is a modern streamlined aspect of the traditional IDC course. There are several PADI lectures that are presented during an IDC. Through completing the online portion you will have completed 8 of these lectures at your own pace, prior to the start of your course. The older IDC method incorporates these lectures into actual classroom time. Each lecture lasts around 1-2 hours which adds 2-3 days of classroom.
With less time needed in the classroom for lectures, it allows us to spend more time in the water. Through incorporating the IDC on line it gives us the opportunity to have more relaxed days, normally your day will begin at 8am and finish around 6pm, giving you plenty of time in the evenings to get your homework completed and relax with your fellow candidates.
As previously mentioned we do not simply go through the motions and tick the boxes, as we have less material to cover in class this gives us extra time during the IDC to focus on each candidate’s specific needs, whether they be water based or classroom teaching skills.
What are the prerequisites to join an IDC in the Philippines?
- PADI Divemaster or leadership level with another diver training organization
- 18 years old
- 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation (100 dives to become a certified Instructor)
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course dive rescue assessment
- Certified diver for six months
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months
As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you can teach the following courses
- PADI Scuba Diver / Open Water Diver
- Advanced Open Water
- Rescue Diver
- Skin Diver and Discover Snorkeling
- Discover Scuba Diving
- PADI Seal Team and Bubblemaker
- ReActivate program
- Discover Local Diving
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty
- Project AWARE Specialty
- AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation
Required Materials and Equipment
You will need to equip yourself with all the basic scuba gear expected of PADI IDC candidates and some accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
In order to conduct the IDC you will need an Instructor Crew pack with Aquatic Cue Cards, Quizzes and Exams, Diving Knowledge Workbook, Guide to Teaching, etc.
These materials can be ordered through Instructor Development Philippines prior to the start of the course.
Prerequisites for the IE
- 60 logged dives
- Successfully complete the Instructor Development Course or the Open Water Scuba Instructor Program within the past 12 months.
Go Pro Package
- IDC Philippines – 10 days
- IDC Online – completed prior to arrival
- EFRI – 2 days
- FREE Emergency Oxygen Provider Specialty Instructor Course
- FREE Project AWARE Dive Against Debris Specialty Instructor Course
- FREE Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Rating (no additional PADI fees)
- FREE Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Rating (no additional PADI fees)
- FREE Project AWARE - Coral Reef Consevation Specialty Instructor Rating (no additional PADI fees)
- FREE 10 fun dive package including sanctuary fees that can be taken before, during or after your IDC.
- FREE IDC Preparation course – 3 days covering dive theory, dive skills, ascent & descent techniques, knot tying, lift bag use, and a rescue skills refresher
- IDC Philippines workshops including DSD workshop, Adventure Dive workshop, Rescue Exercise workshop and a CESA clinic
- Job Placement and Assistance Program
- Learn to Teach Program – a great opportunity to start of your teaching career by learning from the best instructors during a two week internship
- Dive Center Management Program a unique 2 day program conducted at our Career Development center and 5* IDC Dive Resort
- Daily transfers between Atmosphere & Liquid
- Dive Theory Study Program with custom designed study materials and exams
- Use of a personal tablet for the duration of the IDC with all the latest PADI student manuals, course videos, Touch products and Instructor Manual
- Lunch on course days including prep (15 days)
- IDP T-shirt, stationary kit and cap
- Coffee, tea, water, cookies and snacks during the IDC
- All sanctuary fees during your IDC and IE
- Discounts at both Liquid and Atmosphere bar & restaurants and dive shop
- Instructor Examination Party